June 14, 2018

How did the 130 beds, only children's hospital in Western North Carolina compare to your previous experiences in health care?
      Missions Hospital was amazing, at first the 130 bed children's hospital was a bit overwhelming, Mission is something that I am more use to from back home so I was not in total shock, however compared to what we have been experiencing this week in Cherokee. It was so amazing to see everyone at work, everyone seemed to love the town that they live in and most of the nursing staff that we talked to today has been there for 20 plus years, which means something must be working, right? In regards to Mission Children outpatient I was in complete awe that facility is truly amazing and I was beyond impressed with their lower level department. I have been interested in adding SAN-P to my name after graduation and that facility touched my heart, and how inviting they make it for the children and their families is truly a blessing. 
Consider how hospitalization affects children and their families.
     Mission hospital is an amazing hospital for children and their families, without this hospital 18 counties would not have the services that Mission hospital provides which ends up effecting the children in the long run, if this hospital was not available to them. This population also has a lot of higher risk pregnancies and substance abuse problems in younger children, even though Cherokee takes a lot of substance abuse, Mission will take them when it is needed as well as taking in their own population of substance abuse mothers and children. 
How does this organization apply family centered care?
     Mission hospital children’s center is a huge advocate for involving the families, having the family members come visit, and stay with their children while they are in the hospital. As we were touring the NICU the nurse stated that when the physicians are doing daily rounds they pull the family members into the meeting with them to get their point of view on how things are going and to better assist them, and I think that by pulling the parents away from child for a few minutes to sit and actually discuss the events that are going to come into play is so much better then leaving the parents with the children in their "rooms". If I am in a room and physicians rounding at OSF the parent sometimes don’t always give their full attention to the physicians sometimes they are more focused on the child or other distractions and the families tend to have more questions after the physicians leave the room. 
How does the environment in Ashville, NC compare or contrast to Cherokee, NC?
     The environment in Ashville compared to Cherokee is completely different. When talking about the different hospitals in each town Ashville is very "meet goals, make patients and family happy" where Cherokee based their practices off of tradition and true patient care. Ashville is also a larger town itself and this is the first time we went here and this is also the first time that we have gotten stuck in traffic this trip, it has the "big city" feel, where in Cherokee its a very quiet small town feel. 
What stood out to you the most today

     Today was an amazing experience I think that I was most amazed by how technology has advanced Mission Children’s Hospital inpatient as well as outpatient. I am beyond impressed by the atmosphere mostly at the outpatient clinic but I loved the NICU located at Mission hospital. As stated in the previous question this hospital is MUCH larger than Cherokee and to see a completely different work style was amazing to see and honestly more what I’m used to coming from OSF children’s hospital. Even though I liked the environment at Cherokee and I felt more "at home" there I think that Mission is some place that I could actually see myself being, primarily in Children’s outpatient in the abuse clinic, if I were to ever come out this way. ;) 

Comments

  1. I'm sure the community does hope that you come out this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,
    I also thought that the comparison between Mission and Cherokee was a huge difference. The hospital that is close to where I live in Peru is more like the size of Cherokee. I thought that we had a great experience at both. I thought that the substance abuse was frightening but I am so happy to see that there are many resources available to these individuals. I am glad that we had the chance to assess the culture and see the difference that occurs across different states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor,
    Coming from someone who has no prior experience in healthcare, it was very interesting to hear your comparisons between Mission hospital and where you work. I was also impressed by the lower level of Mission Children's Outpatient. The hand prints on the wall is something that I am going to remember for the rest of my life. It is one thing to learn and hear about child abuse, but it is a completely different experience to see the hand prints of children who have experienced abuse covering the walls in the clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taylor,

    The Mission hospital pediatrics unto also reminded me of the unit at OSF. I felt that there were many similarities between the two. To have many nurses that have been there for so long I think definitely speaks to the level of commitment that not only the staff have, but also how great of a facility it is to work at. I completely forgot about the rounding that the physicians did with the family. I think that aspect of the care plan is very important in terms of keeping the family in loop with future procedures, addition or subtraction of medications, changes in level of care needed and progress. Communication between the healthcare team and the family can ultimately change the overall hospital experience. Very insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you move out this way, I will be a reference for you and will want to come visit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June 16, 2018

June 15, 2018